The Student News Site of Monterey High School

The Galleon

• May 26Pentagon says US killed at least 105 civilians in Mosul, Iraq

• May 26Republican Greg Gianforte, who bodyslammed a reporter, defeats Democrat Rob Quist in Montana's special election for the at-large House seat

• May 26Cavaliers defeat Celtics in Game 5 to advance to the NBA Finals

• May 24AMP Gala is taking place on May 25, 2017 at 6-8 PM in the MHS Cafe & Little Theater

• May 24Senior Finals are in progress; all other finals start this Friday

UK bombing devastates world

Nick Southern, News Reporter

10:33 p.m., Monday night, suicide bomber Salman Abedi detonated a bomb in the entrance hall of Manchester arena sending nails and screws throughout the crowd, injuring 120 and killing 22.

Just as Ariana Grande finished an encore amidst a crowd of ecstatic and vibrant predominantly teenage girls, a loud explosion was heard by all in the crowd, and what ensued was complete chaos.

The 144 victims were in the foyer of the arena when the bomb went off and were among the first to begin leaving the stadium. Among those killed in the attack was Saffie-Rose Roussos, who was just eight years old.

Also, among those killed were Polish couple Marcin and Agelika Klis, who were waiting on their children at the entrance. The children managed to exit the stadium safely.

While the motives of the terrorist attack are not yet confirmed, the bomber has been linked to the Islamic State.

Due to the complexity of the bomb, experts state it is highly unlikely the bomber was working by himself, and was just the “mule” carrying out the command of more important individuals higher in the group.

“This is top bomb-maker work,” said Hamish de Bretton-Gordon, a former British army officer. “I would be very surprised if this boy had that capability and it seems more likely that he was a mule and was radicalized to be a suicide bomber. It’s very likely there is a serious cell behind this attack.”

British authorities have raided several homes and arrested eight men who are believed to have connections with the attack.

Before British officials were ready to release the name of the bomber and pictures to the public, they were leaked and blamed on the U.S. government. The leaked information was reportedly shared between British and U.S. law enforcement agencies, and then made its way to the American news media.

British Prime Minister Theresa May has expressed her concern with the leaks and will speak to President Trump at a NATO meeting in Brussels, Belgium.

Theresa May said she would “make clear to President Trump that intelligence which is shared between our law enforcement agencies must remain secure.”

British authorities said the leaked information may harm the tight bond between United States and British law enforcement agencies.

At 11 a.m. the following morning, hundreds of grieving people gathered at St. Anne’s square in Manchester to honor a moment of silence for the 22 dead.

The chilling attack of terrorism highlights the horrors of the world today and constitutes the beginning of the Islamic State’s targeting of children, a horrifying new low ISIS.