The Student News Site of Monterey High School

The Galleon

• May 26Pentagon says US killed at least 105 civilians in Mosul, Iraq

• May 26Republican Greg Gianforte, who bodyslammed a reporter, defeats Democrat Rob Quist in Montana's special election for the at-large House seat

• May 26Cavaliers defeat Celtics in Game 5 to advance to the NBA Finals

• May 24AMP Gala is taking place on May 25, 2017 at 6-8 PM in the MHS Cafe & Little Theater

• May 24Senior Finals are in progress; all other finals start this Friday

Stress your way to success

Emily Holt, News Editor

America’s youth is constantly under stress, due to pressures from society to be perfect and the pressures from parents and teachers to be the superb children and students.

American Psychological studies show that America’s youth are more stressed than the average adults.

Most parents will blame procrastination and “teen angst” for their child’s stress. The stress level of an average high school sophomore ranks 5.8 out of 10 (10 being the highest stress level) compared to a 5.1 for an adult.

“It is alarming that the teen stress experience is so similar to that of adults,” said Norman B. Anderson, the APA chief executive and senior vice president. “In order to break this cycle of stress and unhealthy behaviors as a nation, we need to provide teens with better support and health education, at school and at home, at the community level and in their interactions with healthcare professionals.”

Stress seems to become increasingly more difficult as they continue through high school. 34 percent of high school student stress will increase just thinking of starting a new year of high school.

Once students become seniors, their stress levels are extremely high. The causes being the competitiveness to get into an exceptional college, SAT and ACT tests and college applications, and the pressure to do extracurriculars and AP courses to stand out from others to attract the interest of major universities.

Most seniors start the year ready to have a fun and eventful year, but as the year continues, students decide ditching and leaving school early or even dropping out before they graduate.

Teens experiencing high levels of stress may experience the following symptoms: difficulty sleeping, irritability for no apparent reason, and loss or sudden change in appetite.

During the year, teens report higher levels of stress than adults according to the American Psychological Association. It is not hard to understand why stress levels are so high are because it’s never been harder to get into college or pay for it.

Acceptance rates from Major colleges have decreased to an unbelievable low in the past few years. The rigor needed by students to be successful is sometimes unattainable, and comes at the cost of their mental health.