The Galleon

• May 26Pentagon says US killed at least 105 civilians in Mosul, Iraq

• May 26Republican Greg Gianforte, who bodyslammed a reporter, defeats Democrat Rob Quist in Montana's special election for the at-large House seat

• May 26Cavaliers defeat Celtics in Game 5 to advance to the NBA Finals

• May 24AMP Gala is taking place on May 25, 2017 at 6-8 PM in the MHS Cafe & Little Theater

• May 24Senior Finals are in progress; all other finals start this Friday

Netflix shows that are better than homework

Amelia Young, News Editor

Many students struggle to find motivation to study when they face distractions, such as instant video streaming like Netflix, Hulu, and Youtube.

As one of the editors of a school newspaper, I should be here to guide and help you on your academic journey. I should be writing an article with my top ten tips for studying for your big test. This is not that article. Surprise! I haven’t studied since I was a sophomore, silly goose.

Instead, I am going to give you a list of my favorite shows to binge watch on Netflix while I pretend to study. I am kind of a binge watching pro (I watched all 7 seasons of “30 Rock” in 4 days), so you are in good hands. Nothing but the best for my fellow MHS procrastinators!  

You could, of course, study first and, then, watch one of these shows to reward yourself, but I think we both know that’s not going to happen. Happy netflixing!

1.Arrested Development

How did this show get cancelled?  It’s the type of show so funny that you have to watch it twice to catch all of the jokes.  The perfect example of an ensemble cast, each actor brings their own funny flair to their role.  The show centers around a spoiled, wealthy family and their reaction to unexpected bankruptcy.  The funny voiceover and constant “easter eggs” will make you hopeful that Netflix will get it together and film a fifth season already. Watch it, and then join me in protest.

1. Grey’s Anatomy

Have you ever been attached to a show? Like really attached in a way that you really truly care what happens to the characters, even if they’ve just been introduced? If not, this show is the perfect show to introduce you to real TV love. Even if you don’t think you like medical dramas, after watching a few episodes you will want to become a surgical resident. Never have I cried as much as I did when I watched all 12 available seasons of this show.  The show’s creator Shonda Rhimes does an amazing job creating dynamic storylines and characters ( and then immediately killing off your favorites).

1. Stranger Things

O.M.G.! This show! I watched all 8 episodes in one afternoon and I WANT MORE.  The show follows three intertwining storylines that each represent a classic movie genre: a government conspiracy, a teen slasher flick, and a Spielberg-esque adventure. With an inventive plot and lovable cast, you will be just as upset as I am that the second season won’t be on netflix until Halloween.

1. Ugly Betty

Another oldie but goodie, this show was like my life in middle school. I came home from school every day and immediately watched fashion assistant Betty try and navigate the fashion world as a latina with a nontraditional appearance. You will laugh, you will cry. You will want to try on 800 pairs of shoes. Most importantly, if you are anything like me, you will be inspired. Also, it is based on a Colombian soap opera. Who doesn’t love telenovelas?!

1. Gilmore Girls

No, I am not counting the recent Netflix reboot. That was disappointing. I am, however, speaking of the original show.  Welcome to Stars Hollow, a tiny town in Connecticut, where everyone knows everyone. Soon you too will know everyone.  It took me awhile to get into this one, but after a few episodes, I was completely hooked.  I had no idea I could become so invested in the lives of a former teen mother, her daughter, and a small town diner owner.

1. The Office

I don’t even need to bother explaining this show because I can guarantee you have already seen 30 memes of it on Twitter. Just watch it already!

1. The OA

I’ll end this article with a weird pick. It even has a weird name. You have probably never heard of this show.  I hadn’t either, but I managed to stumble upon it at like 2 am one day. THIS SHOW MESSED ME UP.  I don’t even know how to describe it without giving something away. It is jam packed with twists and puzzles and mysteries. Forty minutes into the first episode you are introduced to a brand new story.  It kinda messes with your brain, but does an amazing job dealing with themes like human connection, death, and scientific ethics. You will be left a little inspired, a little confused, and very eager to watch more.