The Student News Site of Monterey High School

The Galleon

• May 26Pentagon says US killed at least 105 civilians in Mosul, Iraq

• May 26Republican Greg Gianforte, who bodyslammed a reporter, defeats Democrat Rob Quist in Montana's special election for the at-large House seat

• May 26Cavaliers defeat Celtics in Game 5 to advance to the NBA Finals

• May 24AMP Gala is taking place on May 25, 2017 at 6-8 PM in the MHS Cafe & Little Theater

• May 24Senior Finals are in progress; all other finals start this Friday

Colin Kaepernick donates suits to job seeking parolees

Michael Hsu, News Editor

NFL Quarterback Colin Kaepernick donated suits to parolees looking for jobs as they transition back into society.

Kaepernick partnered with 100 Suits, an organization that works with formerly incarcerated individuals trying to reenter into the workforce and society as well providing them with free business attires for job interviews.

Kaepernick was spotted dropping off two large boxes of custom-made suits in front of a New York Parole office. An Instagram post from Kaepernick’s Know Your Rights campaign described how the attire would help those that are reintegrating into society:

“By being able to wear appropriate suits to their interviews, these men and women are better equipped to achieve gainful employment, which will ultimately help them to transition into mainstream society and live more productive lives.”

Kaepernick is fully funding his Know Your Rights campaign, which, as stated on the website, raises “awareness on higher education, self empowerment, and instruction to properly interact with law enforcement in various scenarios.”

In March, Kaepernick helped start a GoFundme campaign with social media star Jerome Jarre and actor Ben Stiller’s Stiller Foundation, raising money for food and water to be delivered to Somalia. In addition, Kaepernick helped secure a plane from Turkish Airlines, as they are one of the few airlines to fly to Somalia.

Kaepernick has been busy this offseason participating in charitable work, despite not being signed with an NFL team. He entered the national spotlight after he decided to kneel during the national anthem before games in protest of racial inequalities in the US.

Just recently, New York Daily News writer Evan Grossman wrote a column titled, “Why does Kaepernick have to pick between social work or playing in the NFL?”, and he discussed the possibilities of why he is still is not signed by an NFL team, and the fact that he has to pick social work or football.

Grossman mentions that many NFL players believe that Kaepernick is being blackballed by the NFL due to the fact that many marginal quarterbacks have been signed by an NFL team. Kaepernick led the San Francisco 49ers to multiple playoff appearances and a Super Bowl appearance four years ago.

In addition, he address other NFL players, who have commited more violent acts than Kaepernick.

“Joe Mixon, who punched a woman on film, has an NFL job. So does accused rapist Gareon Conley. So do accused abusers Caleb Brantley and Dede Westbrook. Even Ishmael Zamora, who violently beat a dog on video, has an NFL job waiting for him,” said Grossman.

But Kaepernick, as Grossman pointed out, peacefully protested about racial injustices in this country.

“There’s something wrong with pro sports when teams contort themselves to fit square pegs with criminal histories into the round holes of social acceptances, while seemingly shunning a guy who took a knee to bring awareness to real problems many people face in this country,” said Grossman.