The Galleon

• May 26Pentagon says US killed at least 105 civilians in Mosul, Iraq

• May 26Republican Greg Gianforte, who bodyslammed a reporter, defeats Democrat Rob Quist in Montana's special election for the at-large House seat

• May 26Cavaliers defeat Celtics in Game 5 to advance to the NBA Finals

• May 24AMP Gala is taking place on May 25, 2017 at 6-8 PM in the MHS Cafe & Little Theater

• May 24Senior Finals are in progress; all other finals start this Friday

My Cinderella Story

Jason Beck, News Reporter

For as long as I can remember, I have been obsessed with perfectly flicked eyeliner and red high heels. Until recently, I never had the confidence to wear makeup in public.

I would always hide the fact that I loved makeup because I was raised in a family where I was supposed to be the stereotypical man. There were many times when I would get home from school, go into my parents room, and play with my stepmom’s makeup.

Now that I look back, I find it hilarious and I cannot believe how much things have changed. Since then, I have become so much more confident and fearless with makeup, but I did not get that way overnight.

It all started when I found out about RuPaul, the most famous drag queen ever. He was the most beautiful person I had ever seen.

From that moment, I knew that was what I wanted to do, drag. I told my sister about it, and she was just excited as I was.

It was such a relief because I knew that she accepted me, supported me, and loved me. It was a different feeling because at the time I was still having a hard accepting who I was and so was my family.

Until then, I was not really sure if my sister even had a heart; I mean, I am still not completely sure. Since that time, my sister has been my biggest supporter and advocate, and for that, I will forever be grateful.

She started sending me Youtube videos of men who wore makeup, and, again, I was in awe. I could not believe what I saw; men wearing makeup with millions of subscribers. Even though I didn’t know them personally, I felt less alone.

By the time Halloween came around, I could hardly wait to slap on a pound of makeup and look like a woman. That day, when I first looked in the mirror, my confidence grew exponentially.

After that day, I started practicing makeup and, eventually, wearing it on a regular basis. I am not going to lie; it was one of the hardest things I had to go through.

So many people were against the idea of me wearing makeup; for some reason it was totally unheard of. It made me happy, and I knew I didn’t want to give that up just because of the people who “didn’t understand.”

There were many times where I almost gave up because of what people said or did, but then one day, I just stopped caring and started living life for myself. I realized that you are not really living life if you follow all the rules and color inside the lines.

If I had to give advice to someone in a similar situation, I would give them a song lyric by Lady Gaga, “Don’t Be a Drag, Be a Queen.”