The Student News Site of Monterey High School

The Galleon

• May 26Pentagon says US killed at least 105 civilians in Mosul, Iraq

• May 26Republican Greg Gianforte, who bodyslammed a reporter, defeats Democrat Rob Quist in Montana's special election for the at-large House seat

• May 26Cavaliers defeat Celtics in Game 5 to advance to the NBA Finals

• May 24AMP Gala is taking place on May 25, 2017 at 6-8 PM in the MHS Cafe & Little Theater

• May 24Senior Finals are in progress; all other finals start this Friday

Boys soccer wins league championship and then some

Michael Hsu, News Reporter

On February 14, 2017, the Monterey High Boys Varsity Soccer team won the Pacific Division League Championship, beating Salinas to clinch the title.

Last season, the Dores finished with a 10-5-4 record, 7-1-4 in league. They finished second in the Pacific Division only to Christopher, who moved up to the Gabilan Division this year. This year though, they haveve gone into a different gear.

The Dores finished with a 14-1-2 record and were undefeated in league play, finishing with a 10-0-2 record.

One of the most important players that has been vital to the team’s success is senior midfielder and captain Louis Sanchez.

The midfielder has been the main playmaker for the Dores, evident with his tie for county leader in assists with 13.

The Dores had high expectations for their season, which they met by winning league championship.

Sanchez has attributed the team’s success to its chemistry and bond the team has been able to make and how much of an advantage that is.

“This year we knew we were going to have a good team because all of our varsity players play on the same club team,” said Sanchez. “We know each other; we grown up with each other and played with each other.”

Senior forward Jimmy Diego also attributes the team’s success to the bond and the foundation that the Dores have built over the years.

“We definitely set the bar,” said Diego. “Personally, it’s a very good way to end senior year, so I’m very proud of not only myself, but the team.”

Even with the success, both Sanchez and Diego were still a little surprised. However, the most surprising part for both of them was the bracket the Dores were placed in.

“What’s surprising is that we’re playing in Open Division against Alisal, one of the best teams in the state,” said Sanchez.

However, other team members weren’t surprised at all.

Senior Steven Crnkovic was blunt on his thoughts.

“I already knew we were going to do that well,” said Crnkovic. “I thought we were going to do even better.”

Senior Daisuke Ramirez was also blunt in his response.

“Absolutely not,” said Ramirez.

Ramirez, who is one of the defensive backs that have been the main cornerstone to the Dores’ success for the past four years, saw the potential this team had.

“We came a long way since day one,” said Ramirez. “We’ve done a lot of things from the smallest to the biggest and we’ve worked as a team, which has gotten us a long way and we grew as a team.”

Recently, the Dores seized state power and the number 1 seed in the Open Division Alisal to advance to the Open Division semifinals. Sanchez described the main key for the Dores defeating Alisal.

“Our key is just to attack them as much as they will attack us,” said Sanchez.

And, Boy, did they do that with the 3-1 win. Up next, the Dores play Carlmont at Valley Christian High School.