The Galleon

• May 26Pentagon says US killed at least 105 civilians in Mosul, Iraq

• May 26Republican Greg Gianforte, who bodyslammed a reporter, defeats Democrat Rob Quist in Montana's special election for the at-large House seat

• May 26Cavaliers defeat Celtics in Game 5 to advance to the NBA Finals

• May 24AMP Gala is taking place on May 25, 2017 at 6-8 PM in the MHS Cafe & Little Theater

• May 24Senior Finals are in progress; all other finals start this Friday

Gender Stretches Traditional Bounds

Phil Wilkerson, News Editor

Traditionally, gender has been limited to two choices, boy or girl; however, recently, light has been shed upon the vast expanse that is the gender spectrum.

When babies are born, they are assigned a gender, and usually, their parents choose a name that is typical of that specific gender. The sex of the baby is determined by chromosomes and their gender is assigned according to that determination.

There are two different chromosome combinations, the XX and the XY. XX is associated with being female and XY with being male (although in rare cases one can be born with XXY chromosomes, thus leaving the gender assignment up to the parents wish).

The gender spectrum is similar to the light and sound spectrum. There are many direct spots and in-betweens, allowing individuality.

High school is a time given to adolescents to discover who they are, so it is not uncommon for people to begin questioning their gender at this age. The main problem for these gender-queer teens (people who do not identify as their assigned gender) is that there isn’t a large amount of representation or information regarding gender identity.

Recently, there have been celebrities sharing their experiences with gender identity, such as Miley Cyrus, Jaden Smith, and Ruby/Ruben Rose. All three have described how they don’t conform to gender ideals; for example, Miley has explained that she identifies as genderfluid.

“I don’t relate to being [a] boy or girl, and I don’t have to have my partner relate to [being a] boy or girl,” said Miley Cyrus to Paper Magazine.

According to MotherJones, there are 1.4 million people who do not identify with their assigned gender in the world, which is about 23% of the world’s population.

Gender terminology can be confusing, even for a trans person like myself, so here are some of the most common terms: Genderfluid, where the gender identity changes; Bigendered, being two genders at once; Nonbinary, genderless; and Transgender, identifying as the opposite gender from the one that is assigned.

Those are just some of the many identities one can have, as there is endless terms and no one person is the same. Hopefully, some of the confusion is cleared up, and we can make Monterey High a more open and educated environment.