The Student News Site of Monterey High School

The Galleon

• May 26Pentagon says US killed at least 105 civilians in Mosul, Iraq

• May 26Republican Greg Gianforte, who bodyslammed a reporter, defeats Democrat Rob Quist in Montana's special election for the at-large House seat

• May 26Cavaliers defeat Celtics in Game 5 to advance to the NBA Finals

• May 24AMP Gala is taking place on May 25, 2017 at 6-8 PM in the MHS Cafe & Little Theater

• May 24Senior Finals are in progress; all other finals start this Friday

Trump reinstates ban on funding overseas abortions

Emily Holt, News Editor

Trump brought to light the war on abortion by signing an executive order blocking foreign aid or federal funding for international non-governmental organizations that provide or promote abortions.

The Mexico-City law, established by Republican President Ronald Reagan in 1984, blocks federal funding for international family planning charities.

The policy has been thrown back and forth between presidents throughout the years, with Democratic presidents rescinding the policy upon taking office, as President Obama did in 2009, and Republican presidents reinstating it. The executive order comes from the continuous debate on women’s rights along with the Women’s March on Washington D.C.

The movement was countered by the annual March for Life in Washington D.C. The order also comes one day after the 44th anniversary of the Roe V. Wade supreme court ruling that made abortion legal.

“I think the president, it’s no secret, has made it very clear that he’s a pro-life president,” White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer told reporters at his first briefing Monday afternoon. “And I think the reinstatement of this policy is not just something that echoes that value, but respects taxpayer funding as well, and ensures that we’re standing up not just for life of the unborn, but for also taxpayer funds that are being spent overseas to perform an action that is contrary to the values of this president.”

Trump took traditional Republican viewpoint on abortion during his campaign, vowing to sign any legislation defunding institution that provide the action and promising to appoint “pro-life” justices to the Supreme Court. Vice President Pence is also a staunch anti-abortion advocate who passed several laws restricting the procedure while Governor of Indiana.

During his time in Congress, Pence introduced several bills that would have banned federal funding for organizations that provide abortions. Republicans and anti-abortion groups quickly praised the order as an advancement of “pro-life” policies and signaled that more would come throughout the Trump administration.

“Life is a precious and sacred gift, and we must do all we can to protect it,” said Rep. Michael Burgess (R-Texas), chairman of the House’s health subcommittee. “I applaud President Trump for taking this important action and look forward to continuing to work together in advancing pro-life policies and protecting taxpayer dollars.”