The Student News Site of Monterey High School

The Galleon

• May 26Pentagon says US killed at least 105 civilians in Mosul, Iraq

• May 26Republican Greg Gianforte, who bodyslammed a reporter, defeats Democrat Rob Quist in Montana's special election for the at-large House seat

• May 26Cavaliers defeat Celtics in Game 5 to advance to the NBA Finals

• May 24AMP Gala is taking place on May 25, 2017 at 6-8 PM in the MHS Cafe & Little Theater

• May 24Senior Finals are in progress; all other finals start this Friday

Yoga relieves menstrual pain

Annabelle Cole, Editor in Chief

Many yoga positions have been helpful in relieving or decreasing pain during a menstrual cycle.

Numerous women often struggle with cramps, backaches, headaches, nausea and other various symptoms before and during a period. Significant results have been seen in the relief of these pains through yoga exercise.

“Yoga strengthens the body physically and aids in alleviating pain caused due to menstrual cramps,” said Art of Living in an article on their yoga website called The Yoga Journal. Their site claims yoga decreases and often completely relieves menstrual pain. “It also calms the mind and empowers you to put up a stronger resistance against giving in to the pain.”

Yoga is a natural way to truly allay the discomfort experienced during a period.

Exercise in general helps cramping and is one of the best ways to take the pain away; however, yoga is a slower practice and does not have to be constant such as running. It is easy to take a comfortable pace, especially when many people experience pain intense enough to discourage movement.

“My cramps get so bad I get nauseous and feel like I can’t even move or do simple tasks,” said Monterey High senior Amelia Young.

The restriction from everyday activity due to pain can be extremely frustrating aside from the initial annoyance of the painful cramps. Sitting in a desk and trying to focus during school or having to go to work becomes difficult.

“For three months, I had two periods each month,” said Emily Holt, high school senior. “It was so painful, and nothing alleviated it.”

The Yoga Journal has several positions on their website including the Bound Angle Pose (Baddha Konasana), Bow Pose (Dhanurasana), Bridge Pose (Setu Bandha Sarvangasana), Downward-Facing Dog (Adho Mukha Svanasana), and many other helpful poses with instructions to properly relieve pain.

“Respect your body, understand its limits and have patience in overcoming them,” said the Art of Living in the same article. “In the meanwhile, dress up, enjoy life and overpower your periods with a smile!”