The Student News Site of Monterey High School

The Galleon

• May 26Pentagon says US killed at least 105 civilians in Mosul, Iraq

• May 26Republican Greg Gianforte, who bodyslammed a reporter, defeats Democrat Rob Quist in Montana's special election for the at-large House seat

• May 26Cavaliers defeat Celtics in Game 5 to advance to the NBA Finals

• May 24AMP Gala is taking place on May 25, 2017 at 6-8 PM in the MHS Cafe & Little Theater

• May 24Senior Finals are in progress; all other finals start this Friday

Women across America march for human rights

Annabelle Cole, Editor in Chief

On Saturday, January 21, over one million people gathered on the streets of Washington D.C., and 5 million people gathered globally for the worldwide Women’s March. The March was organized in response to newly inaugurated President Trump’s proposed policies and statements. Linda Sarsour, one of the march’s organizers, called it “a stand on social justice and human rights issues ranging from race, ethnicity, gender, religion, immigration and healthcare”

This one-day demonstration was the largest in United States history.

“It was awesome to be a part of a march in D.C. because of its history, people have marched on Washington for many different issues and I am lucky to live here and participate,” said D.C. resident Amanda Cole.

The Washington Post noted that Metro officials said it was the second-busiest day for their subway system with over one million trips, in contrast to the 570, 557 trips on inauguration day.

The Women’s March had a goal of raising voices against oppression, and coming together to make a change for equality.

“It was an experience like nothing I’ve had before, a chance to come together and not only hear my own voice magnified as one of thousands together, but also to listen and learn from women and men who have been working for equality since the 1960’s and before,” said John Goad, a D.C. resident who attended and volunteered for the march. “The crowd was staggeringly big, and there was a real sense of shared purpose in the common regard for compassion.”

Before the march began around 1 p.m., speeches and performances generated millions of listeners in support of the movement. Some speakers included Maryum Ali, Gloria Steinem, Michael Moore, Scarlett Johansson, America Ferrera, Cecile Richards, and a young girl named Sophie Cruz who delivered a moving, bilingual speech.

“It was great to be a part of something so big. There were so many people that at times I couldn’t even move! Everyone was so happy to be there…,” said Cole.

Along with the gathering in Washington, the Women’s March website documents 673 marches around the world. One march took place here in Monterey County, on the campus of CSU Monterey Bay.

“I really like what my wife said which is that it was the first day she hadn’t felt oppressed since the election,” said MHS teacher Geoffrey Tibbits, who attended the CSUMB march. “The spirit of togetherness, acceptance, understanding, and positive action were really cool; and gratifying to be a part of.”

Though the March has ended, the movement has not. Those in support have been challenged to take action on an issue they care about every ten days for the first 100 days of Trump’s presidency. The goal is to keep the momentum of the fight for equality in motion.

“This march is the first step towards unifying our communities, grounded in new relationships, to create change from the grassroots level up,” said the March’s official statement.