The Student News Site of Monterey High School

The Galleon

• May 26Pentagon says US killed at least 105 civilians in Mosul, Iraq

• May 26Republican Greg Gianforte, who bodyslammed a reporter, defeats Democrat Rob Quist in Montana's special election for the at-large House seat

• May 26Cavaliers defeat Celtics in Game 5 to advance to the NBA Finals

• May 24AMP Gala is taking place on May 25, 2017 at 6-8 PM in the MHS Cafe & Little Theater

• May 24Senior Finals are in progress; all other finals start this Friday

MHS Students sell their photography to CHOMP

Phil Wilkerson, News Editor

This January, MHS art students sold 33 of their original photographic art pieces to the Community Hospital of Monterey Peninsula. Kathleen Bellesiles, MHS Photography and graphic design teacher, sat down with the Galleon to talk about the origins of this sale.

“So the way this started was last year, “ said Bellesiles. “ Amy Essicks… saw our work at the Carl Cherry Gallery and at the Seaside Show where we won all these awards… So she found out who I was [and] she contacted me and said, ‘I really love your students work and can I view it,’ and the first time, at the end of last year, I… think was in April- and she bought about 10 pieces.

And then she came back right at the end of the year and she bought… about 15 more. So we were really excited and the students get the money. They’re hung throughout… the different CHOMP installations.”

When asked about the type of subject preferred by CHOMP, she said that they preferred peaceful and relaxing scenes, specifically pictures of local wildlife.

Students who sold their art received $60 a piece, and MHS senior Annabelle Cole sold 5 pieces and earned a whopping $300.

If anyone is interested in participating in the next sale, which will occur in a few months, Bellesiles offered some tips:

“They need to do high quality work, so… they have to be [taken] with real cameras, with… high quality, really sharp and… well composed.
So… cellphone photos… don’t really cut it. It’s unfortunate because there [are] some beautiful images that the students took, but the quality just isn’t there to blow them up to 12×18,” said Bellesiles.

Bellesiles feels this is a great opportunity for the students to showcase their work and make money off their talent. It is also an exciting opportunity for them to have their work shown in a place that so many people go to and see every day.

Not only are the students getting a chance to showcase their work, but they are able to print their work themselves.

“Oh, and we’re making the prints ourselves through a grant that we got from the Arts Council of Monterey County,” said Bellesiles. “That’s allowed us to actually start making some money with our prints and… I love my new printer, thank you, Arts Council.”