The Student News Site of Monterey High School

The Galleon

• May 26Pentagon says US killed at least 105 civilians in Mosul, Iraq

• May 26Republican Greg Gianforte, who bodyslammed a reporter, defeats Democrat Rob Quist in Montana's special election for the at-large House seat

• May 26Cavaliers defeat Celtics in Game 5 to advance to the NBA Finals

• May 24AMP Gala is taking place on May 25, 2017 at 6-8 PM in the MHS Cafe & Little Theater

• May 24Senior Finals are in progress; all other finals start this Friday

Monterey Highs’ First Football Game

Jade Johnson, Sports Editor

As the Toreadors start their football season, the Junior Varsity team layed the smack down on their opponent, Mountain View. With outstanding performances from Alex Colmenares, #32, Joshua Elmore, #16, and Jordan Caliz, #34. The score was 19-6 as two of the touchdowns were by Jordan Caliz in the second half from outstanding passes by the quarterback, #16.  Judging by this game our JV team is definitely ready for Battle of the Bay and the rest of their season!

And as for our Varsity team, the game was more of a nail-biting, tear-jerking, on-the-edge game. There was a great effort on the defensive side by Timothy Byrd, #24, Andrew Ventura, #5, and Sam Regier, #72 just to name a few. Our quarterbacks, Evans Charles, #8, and Chase Curry, #2, threw many attempts in hopes of a touchdown, but only one succeeded in their defeat against Mountain View. Sophomore, Azjani McGill, #1, scored the touchdown which brought the crowd to their feet in hope and satisfaction. The final score was 35-7, but the Energy, Spirit, and Toreador Pride is still there! So win or lose, rain or shine, we fans are the backbone of our teams.  I encourage all of you to be at MPC Friday ready to cheer on our teams! #GODORES #GREENMACHINE