The Student News Site of Monterey High School

The Galleon

• May 26Pentagon says US killed at least 105 civilians in Mosul, Iraq

• May 26Republican Greg Gianforte, who bodyslammed a reporter, defeats Democrat Rob Quist in Montana's special election for the at-large House seat

• May 26Cavaliers defeat Celtics in Game 5 to advance to the NBA Finals

• May 24AMP Gala is taking place on May 25, 2017 at 6-8 PM in the MHS Cafe & Little Theater

• May 24Senior Finals are in progress; all other finals start this Friday

Hammocks Improving the Way We Rest

Nicholas De Moss, Editor in Chief

Hammocks can provide several physical and mental advantages over time compared to lying on a mattress.

Sleeping in hammocks can improve a person’s intelligence by enhancing their concentration.

Lying in a hammock is the ideal environment for reading. It has been observed to significantly increase the overall experience of reading.

Swiss researchers seem to believe that the rocking motion of hammocks allow the person sleeping to achieve a deeper sleep.

“It is a common belief that rocking induces sleep: we irresistibly fall asleep in a rocking chair and, since immemorial times, we cradle our babies to sleep,” said Sophie Schwartz, professor of the Department of Medicine, University of Geneva. “Yet, how this works had remained a mystery. The goal of our study was twofold: to test whether rocking does indeed soothe sleep, and to understand how this might work at the brain level.”

Sleeping in hammock could be a potential natural treatment for people suffering from insomnia.

The rocking motions of hammocks are suspected to improve memory consolidation and slowly restore brain damage.

“We observed a faster transition to sleep in each and every subject in the swinging condition, a result that supports the intuitive notion of facilitation of sleep associated with this procedure,” Michael Mühlethaler, professor of neuroscience said. “Surprisingly, we also observed a dramatic boosting of certain types of sleep-related [brain wave] oscillations.”

It is not unusual for chiropractors or orthopaedists to recommend this method of sleeping. There are personal reports of people advocating that sleeping in a hammock has alleviated their back pain.

When it comes to traveling, hammocks become even more useful due to how easy it is to compact.

One of the few disadvantages to using a hammock instead of a mattress is it can put a strain on relationships. Due to how cramped a hammock can get with more than one person, the hammock is not the ideal furniture for couples.

Understandably, some may not want to throw out their mattress; hammocks could be utilized as a relaxing piece of outdoor furniture.

Hammocks can be especially pleasant to relax in when they are used in the outdoors. David Werkheiser, an actor and hammock enthusiast said, “I like to sit in my backyard. I go out on the hammock and sit in silence and kind of meditate. Nature is calming, and it’s nice to go out there and clear my head.”